Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Magnificent!

U2 was one of the bands I have always wanted to see live but until last evening at Gillette Stadium, I hadn’t. While I’ve seen the band perform on TV shows and films of concerts, I couldn’t have imagined the difference it would make to be there live during the performance. Bono commands the stage with a mystical presence and has mastered the art of incorporating multimedia elements into the performance.
The music and the message were loud and clear without pretentiousness but with charm and true rock and roll grace. There wasn’t a moment of the two hour show that I wasn’t feeling some deep connection to the band, the music, and the message – it was beyond what my simple words can describe.
Here’s the set list:
Main Set: Magnificent
No Line on the Horizon
Get On Your Boots
Mysterious Ways
I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
Elevation
Your Blue Room
Beautiful Day
Unknown Caller
Until the End of the World
Stay (Faraway, So Close)
The Unforgettable Fire
City of Blinding Lights
Vertigo
I'll Go Crazy If I Don't Go Crazy Tonight (remix)
Sunday Bloody Sunday
MLK
Walk On
One
Where the Streets Have No Name
Encore(s): Ultraviolet
With or Without You
Moment of Surrender
With more than 25 solid  years or churning out incredible music, I knew it would be impossible to walk away from this concert without hearing something I wished I had, except, in the end…I was moved so deeply not just my the songs, but by the words and how they were delivered, there was no room for concern about what hadn’t been.

No comments: