Sunday, January 02, 2011

By the Power Vested in Me...

About 5 or 6 weeks ago, a friend of mine told me that she was planning to get married on New Year's eve and then asked me what I was doing on that night. My assumption was that I was about to be invited as a guest and I had no plans so I said, "I don't have any plans." "Mr. X (name changed to provide anonymity) and I would like for you to marry us."

Months earlier, I had told friend of my interest to become a justice of the peace. I had applied for a commission to be one but they are based on town of residence and population and as of current, there are no available commissions in my town. In time... However, in the state of Massachusetts, any resident can apply for a one-day licence to solemnize a marriage in the state. So, I went ahead and applied and was issued a license to solemnize the marriage of friend and Mr. X.

Fast forward to New Year's Eve, this past Friday night. I had spent weeks researching wedding ceremonies and trying to put together a simple ceremony that would be special for the bride and groom and have a meaningful theme that fit's in with who they are and where they are in their lives. After a few edits, I had it all set to go and I showed up around 6pm - set up the unity candles that were part of the ceremony and mingled for a while before the 7pm start.

In a nutshell, it went very well. I received alot of wonderful praise but most importantly, the bride and groom were very happy with what I came up with for the ceremony and we all partied well into the new year. Also, I got a great gift from bride and groom - I'll talk more about that tomorrow-ish.

2 comments:

ria said...

how very cool that you got to marry your friends!

Chris said...

Ria- It was fun! I have video of the ceremony ans will ask for permission to post when they return from their honeymoon.