Saturday, January 08, 2011

Looking Back at 2010: A Meme-ish

I saw this on Ria's blog and copied it not knowing it would be as difficult as it was:

1. What did you do in 2010 that you’d never done before?
Officiate a wedding. In fact, I did that on the very last day of the year – it was an honor and a great experience.

2. Did you keep your New Years’ resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
I don’t really do resolutions – there’s rarely a big payoff and the disappointment can be overwhelming.

3. What countries did you visit?
Orlando, Florida (LOL)

4. What would you like to have in 2011 that you lacked in 2010?
Wow! A raise would be nice, haven’t had one of those in like 3 years. Happiness was lacking, not completely missing but I had way less of it than I would like.

5. What date from 2010 will remain etched upon your memory?
The last day of the year was pretty special – getting to officiate a wedding and for friends was very special. Not sure if the specific date of my divorce will be embedded in memory but it was a pivotal change in my life. There were a few other reasonably memorable days that come to mind, where I shall keep them.

6. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
I gave a pretty kick ass presentation on adjunct professional day but that pales in comparison to being an attentive and supportive dad during two major transitions in my daughter’s life.

7. What was your biggest failure?
To look back on the whole year from this point, there were so many tough times. I think I failed at communicating in general. My blog sat idle for most of the year and I should have had more to say than ever. However, it was just too difficult to express myself in that medium so I just kind of embraced the trendier social networking mediums and spoke most of my thoughts in 140 characters or less.

8. Did you suffer illness or injury?
Another year of trying to keep my blood pressure and cholesterol in check. Doctor told me is am “Pre-Diabetic” so I got super depressed and began exercising every day and watching my sugar intake (I’ve lost around 15 pounds and hope for good news soon).

9. What was the best thing you bought?
This was a light year for “non-essential” purchases and I can’t think of anything I got in 2010 that I loved. A new food item that was a terrific find was “Honey Chipotle Salmon” marketed by Sea Cuisine. Oh wait, I have to give a plug for one awesome item I purchased – Oxi Clean, this stuff is amazing! Oh yeah, I also bought eyeglasses online – it was scary but worked out great.

10. Whose behavior merited celebration?
Easy, my friend Tori. To have had to endure the challenges she’s had to face over the last 5+ years, this past one included and to do so with such courage and grace and still being the best mother to her four kids…this woman is one of the most inspiring people I have ever known.

11. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
Pick a republican.

12. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
As much as I hate Florida, because it was a business trip, I was able to get some form of travel/get-away in 2010. Also, the last “friend’s reunion” was particularly important to me.

13. What song will always remind you of 2010?
I’ll expand this to music in general…normally, I don’t listen to much top 40, because most of it is just crap. I listened to more of it that usual in 2010 while driving my daughter to school and such and while most of it was indeed crap, there were a few songs I really liked and would never have explored in other circumstances.

14. Compared to this time last year, are you happier or sadder?
Sadder but with more hope.

15. What do you wish you’d done more of?
Writing.

16. What do you wish you’d done less of?
Social networking.

17. How did you spend Christmas?
Fabulous! Eve at Sherry’s house – a totally kick-ass party and Day at LJ’s, again, lots of good food, good people and good times.

18. Did you fall in love in 2010?
I got divorced in 2010, I will leave it at that.

19. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year?
I suspect there are some republicans I now hate that I didn’t know last year.

20. What was the best book you read?
Chely Wright’s autobiography was # 1 but Paul Shaffer’s memoir was definitely #2.

21. What was your greatest musical discovery?
Alexi Murdoch, Of Montreal and Jason Derulo were all good finds.

22. What did you want and get?
The Bruce Springsteen Darkness on the Edge of Town box set

23. What did you want and not get?
That must remain secret.

24. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
Absolutely nothing and 46.

25. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
Figuring out how to organize and clean my house and keep it that way. It’s not a hoarder house, not even close, but it needs improvement.

26. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2010?
Non existent.

27. What kept you sane?
Friends and family.

28. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
Lady Gaga

29. Who was the best new person you met?
I can‘t recall if I met any new people in 2010 so I’ll use this space to say how proud I am of the youth at St. Andrew’s church for supporting a performance of “The Laramie Project” and hosting an open mike night to raise funds for The Trevor Project.

30. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2010?
When you are not sure you can get through the tough times, you’ll learn who your real friends are – count on them.

1 comment:

ria said...

this was way longer and harder than i thought it would be when i first started.

may 2011 be filled with a lot of happiness, as well as, hope!