Friday, January 21, 2011

Movies I Watched in 2010 - The rest of them

July
Paul Blart:Mall Cop3.0
Inglorious Basterds3.5
The Men Who Stare at Goats2.5

Christoph Waltz was easily the best part of Inglorious Basterds and I suspect it would be unwatchable without his performance. Paul Blart was mindless entertainment that served its purpose while with the exception of a moment here and there, The Men Who Stare at Goats failed.

August was a bust - no movies watched.

September
Away We Go5.0
Broken Flowers3.0

Both of these films are worth watching. Away We Go is a rom-com done right with standout performances by Maya Rudolph and John Krasinski. Broken Flowers is a Jim Jarmusch film featuring Bill Murray.

October
Legend of the Guardians: The
Owls of Ga'Hoole (Imax 3D)
2.5

I took my daughter to see this and normally, I enjoy these things but this was a boring story.

November
Baby on Board2.0
The Rolling Stones:Stones in
Exile
4.5
American Swing3.0
Who's Harry Nilsson4.0
Please Give3.0
Where the Wild Things Are3.5
Megamind (Imax 3D)4.5
The Runaways2.5
Platoon of the Dead1.5
The Expendables3.5
Thank You for Smoking2.5
The Blind Side5.0

I watched quite a few here in November (December as well). The big standout here was "The Blind Side", a must see film filled with everything you want in a good film (and the stunning Sandra Bullock). "Megamind" was very fun as "Where the Wild Things Are" had a mystical quality. Some big failures are "Platoon of the Dead", a zombie film that really was so poorly scripted and acted it was worse than amateur. The Runaways was a film I had high hopes on being a Joan Jett fan but it was just really boring and poorly made. "Stones in Exile" and "Who's Harry Nilsson" are great feature length documentaries that are must see films for fans of the subjects.

December
It's Complicated3.5
Pathology2.0
The Proposal3.5
Saw V3.0
Gran Torino4.0
Grown Ups3.0
Crazy Heart4.0
Finder's Fee4.0
The Wackness3.0
Running Scared3.5
Date Night3.5

With the exception of "Pathology", a ridiculously bad movie, I recommend all of my December views. Alec Baldwin and Meryl Streep are flawless in "It's Complicated" while the delicious Sandra Bullock and Ryan Reynolds carry "The Proposal". "Saw V" was a good execution for that franchise - not a genius piece of film making but it does its job. I thought "Gran Torino" was going to suck right up into the first 20 or 30 minutes but by the time it ended, I was sold big time. "Grown Ups" was funny. "Crazy Heart" was excellent and features my favorite actor (Jeff Bridges) and one of my crushes (Maggie Gyllenhaal). "Finder's Fee" was a very pleasant surprise; this was written and directed by Jeff Probst (of Survivor fame) and was a really good film. Every time I see Ben Kingsley, as I did in "The Wackness", I grow more fond of what he is capable of on the big screen. "Running Scared" was another pleasant surprise and a well made action film. "Date Night" - Steve Carrell and Tina Fey, need I say more?

No comments: