Friday, February 18, 2011

From the Parent Files

My 12 -year-old daughter called me up today and asked if I would bring her favorite pair of jeans to her at her mother's house because her mother did not do the laundry and she was out of pants. Seemed like a reasonable request so I said "sure I can bring them over later on". Then she says "can you bring them by six o'clock." I replied, do you turn into a pumpkin at six o'clock." After she and I had a chuckle she just kind of shrugged it off and then I proceeded to end the conversation and got back to work.


A short while after I got home, I decided I was going to take a nap since it was only four o'clock. Just as I was getting cozy under the covers and drifting off, the phone ring and guess who? That's right, Victoria. "Hi dad, are you going to be able to get me the jeans by six o'clock." "I'm going to take a nap first but I should be able to get them to you by six o'clock, by the way, why are you so interested in having them by six o'clock if you said you just want to wear them tomorrow."

"I'm going to go out with some of my friends. But I wasn't lying I do want to wear them tomorrow too." I was exhausted, I wasn't really sure what I was hearing and I was just overwhelmed. I figured her mother knew what was going on and a parent would be involved-so I kind of let it slide and didn't question it further. I turned the tide by trying to get out of a special delivery in my fatigued state asking her to call her mother and ask if she can dropy by on her way home to pick up the pants (genius move aht worked).

After talking to her mom, it turns out that her friend's mom is taking them to the movies...I am glad the whole thing took place while I was battling exhaustion because it took the edge of the anxiety. I guess I need to come to grips soon, she's 12 now and I suspect this kind of thing only will get...shall I use worse for lack of a better word?

No comments: