Saturday, March 05, 2011

Funny How Things Workout

As many of you know, since October, I have been committed to a daily workout. While I know that I am fortunate to have a treadmill and exercise bike conveniently located in my basement, the workouts are starting to get a bit boring for one and since my knees have never been in top form, I need to add some variety that will be easier on the knees and perhaps as a bonus, will be helpful for the issues with my lower back and neck.

After a bit of googling, it seems that Mr. Chuck Norris and Ms. Christie Brinkley were onto something with this "Total Gym" thing - of course I am not in a position to drop nearly $600 on a piece of fitness equipment; that's where Craigslist comes in.

I found the model pictured here, the Total Gym 2000, listed on Craigslist for $75, a hefty discount from the $599.40 price on the Total Gym website or even the $535 and change on Amazon. I email the guy with the following, "Please know that my intent is not to insult your intelligence nor to yank your chain but money is very tight. I don't know how motivated you are to be rid of this or how many offers you may have on it so if you find yourself in a position where you just want it gone and are willing to take $25 - please email or call me at ###-###-####." Hours after my email, I received the following reply, "If you are okay with $40, it's yours - if not, sorry, I can't help you." I picked it up this afternoon. However, that of course isn't the interesting part of the story.

I get to the guy's door and both of us stared in shock at each other when he answered - "Jake!', "Chris!" Turns out, I've known this guy for a long time and have been on each others professional contact list for a while as well. I hadn't seen him in some time but through LinkedIn and email we've had sporadic contact.

And once again, the world grew smaller.

3 comments:

Joy said...

Neat! I wasn't sure where this was going and like the ending.

JD said...

Cool! How are you doing with that contraption? I've been sorta daydreaming about the Bowflex for years but still doing TaeBo DVDs faithfully. Of course, I still smoke like a fiend but at least I'll be a slender, young corpse. *cough cough*

Chris said...

Joy- :)
JD-two workouts in and I like it. Mostly, it's nice to have some variety over the treadmill and the bike plus I needed to get a bit of strength training to complement the aerobics.