Thursday, May 19, 2011

When There is Honor in Not Winning

Before I get to the relevance of the title of this post, a few things:
  • The ever amazing Tori had some oral surgery today - let's all send some good thoughts to a quick healing and recovery.
  • Comment received from someone who attended one of my professional day workshops, "thank you, finally something I sat through at a professional day that I'll actually get to use in my everyday work." That's what I like to hear!
  • At the risk of repeating myself, I'm not nearly as prepped as I'd like to be considering my summer session I class starts on Monday - going to need to play catch up this weekend.
  • I can't get over how freaking amazing Adele is - bother her CD's are just phenomenal!
Now, onto the title story. Today was our annual Employee Recognition event at work. I was honored to once again be nominated for an award, I've lost track at the number of nominations I have (and am humbled by) over the years but I have had the honor of winning the "Extra Mile Award" on two occasions.

While I am humbled to be recognized by my peers, I also know how hard I work at the things I do and I'd be flat out lying if I didn't say that I felt deserving of it. And, in some years, after seeing the nomination pool, I'd be lying if I didn't tell you that I deserved to win it in some of the years I didn't. I know it may seem arrogant but it isn't. I know the work I put out there and I know the work some of the others did (or really didn't). Anyway, while I didn't win this year, it was truly an honor to be nominated beside the person that did. We'll refer to her as WINNER. WINNER has been with the college for years and regardless of which office she's worked in, who was her boss, or what interaction you had with her, WINNER is always professional and a model employee but not in a snooty or brown nosy kind of way, in a sweet, pleasant, cool, and awesome kind of way. Being nominated next to WINNER elevates what it means to be nominated in that category and certainly gives reason to step up the game. Congrats to WINNER!

2 comments:

April said...

YAY! You love Adele so we can stay friends!! You would NOT BELIEVE how many friends I have had to drop over this.

I am sorry you are the Susan Lucci of your job. But you are so gracious about it, that is beyond admirable. You're a good guy Chris. Makes me even more excited we get to stay friends! :)

Chris said...

April - I'm relieved, you've grown on me :)