Wednesday, July 27, 2011

The Cheese Shop

My favorite of all the Monty Python's Flying Circus sketches ever, the Cheese Shop - presented here for your entertainment pleasure. However, before the video, let me explain why it's relevant in this moment in time.

There's a store in Wellesley Hills, MA called, "The Cheese Shop" - here's a photo of it:
Everytime I've ever passed it I thought to myself, I need to get a photo of that and share it with my fellow Monty Python fans and after I booked my trip to Vegas and knew I was going to visit with my old friend and fellow Monty Python fan, Dan, I had to photograph it for him.

While there, we enjoyed watching the sketch together along with his family and it was revealed to me that neither his wife nor his two daughters find the humor in the sketch. troubled at this, I began to try to analyze why and have decided to take on the task of rewriting the sketch with the intent of changing their minds.

My guess is the British sensibility is what they find difficult to cut through so my goal with me to ease that sensibility by Americanizing the script while maintaining the comedic fundamentals and of course, the jokes inside the jokes. While I find the time (and strength) to attempt this, here is the original brilliance by the Python boys - enjoy:

No comments: