Wednesday, July 06, 2011

For my pallen

It's been a very long running joke. My colleague, Tish Allen's computer username is pallen so I always called her that, emphasizing the pal part. Tish was something of a mentor to me early on in my career at the college and has always been a colleague I've admired and looked up to. Her professionalism and genuine care for her chosen path as an educator is as evident as anything I've ever seen.

Today, I learned that my colleague, my friend, my "pal" was recently diagnosed with a rare form of cancer and begins aggressive treatments this Friday. She's taken on so may vital roles in her life, parent, grandparent, teacher, mentor and now, the one that may be the difference maker - fighter.

I've shed a lot of tears today. The news was devastating as this type of news always is but one thing it forces one, at least me, to do is to just take stock in the things I may take for granted and make sure the people you care about know how much you care about them and how special they are.

To my friends and family and extended family here in Bloggerville and beyond - you all are special folks who've supported me in different capacities -  you are all very special to me adn I greatly appreciate all that you have done for me.

Please keep my friend Tish in your thoughts, prayers, well wishes - whatever it is you do in these situations. I've gotta go send an improtant email...Tish, you may not see this on your own but all of us at MassBay who've gotten to know you and whom you've touched over the years - we are all right here with you. You need something, anything, just ask and fight like we all know only you can!

No comments: