Friday, August 05, 2011

Back to School

While the school season begins again soon, that's not what I am referring to in the title of this post. Recently, I visited a periodontist on the recommendation of my regular dentist; after looking at x-rays, he thought I should have the implant work I had done about a decade ago evaluated.

Long story (way) shorter than it could be, I need to get another implant so that there can be a tooth where a tooth never was (birth defect) to reduce the "trauma" on the existing implant work and slow down the bone loss which could eventually cause the older implants to "fail". English translation, about four grand (give or take a hundred or two). There was more to the treatment plan but I'll leave it there, very expensive!

I was a bit anxiety ridden over the prospect of having to come up with four grand for a tooth with my current state of affairs. I decided to consider looking into the local dental schools as I have heard from many that one can get quality work done for way less money than private practice offices. In fact, I was chatting with a former colleague, who had mentioned Boston University Dental School (where I was about to investigate) and that her father has several implants done there at substantial cost savings and he was very pleased with the whole process.

I went to BU today for my initial consult. The fee, not four grand, but twenty two hundred - almost half price. A little bit of relief!

No comments: