To my delight, she loved them (as did I). I was able to control myself to a very small portion while she indulged. It was the first time I ever made deviled eggs, not that I ever thought it was difficult (it's super easy) but just never thought to make them...I suspect I'll be making them again and even playing with the recipe (perhaps making a low cholesterol version) - who knows.
Here's the recipe (I've noted my modification) and then a video from Food Network showing Paula Deem preparing them...enjoy!
- 7 large eggs, hard boiled and peeled
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 1/2 tablespoons sweet pickle relish
- 1 teaspoon prepared mustard
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cumin (this was my addition - wouldn't have minded a smidgen more)
- Salt and pepper, for taste
- Paprika, for garnishing
- Sweet gherkin pickles sliced for garnishing (I left these out)
- Pimentos, for garnishing
- Halve 6 eggs lengthwise.
- Remove yolks and place in a small bowl with one full egg.
- Mash yolks with a fork and stir in mayonnaise, pickle relish, and mustard.
- Add salt and pepper, to taste (along with ground cumin).
- Fill egg whites evenly with yolk mixture.
- Garnish with paprika,
- Store covered in refrigerator.