Saturday, October 22, 2011

The Deviled Eggs from Down in Georgia-ish

My daughter asked me if I would make deviled eggs for her because she never had them, and had recently heard of them in a story and was intrigued. While I am pretty certain she has had them, I thought what the heck, I will go ahead and make her some.

I went ahead and grabbed Paula Deen's recipe for "Traditional Southern Deviled Eggs" (included below) and made a very slight, but wonderful modification while preparing them this afternoon.

To my delight, she loved them (as did I). I was able to control myself to a very small portion while she indulged. It was the first time I ever made deviled eggs, not that I ever thought it was difficult (it's super easy) but just never thought to make them...I suspect I'll be making them again and even playing with the recipe (perhaps making a low cholesterol version) - who knows.

Here's the recipe (I've noted my modification) and then a video from Food Network showing Paula Deem preparing them...enjoy!

Ingredients:
  • 7 large eggs, hard boiled and peeled
  • 1/4 cup mayonnaise
  • 1 1/2 tablespoons sweet pickle relish
  • 1 teaspoon prepared mustard
  • 1/8 teaspoon ground cumin (this was my addition - wouldn't have minded a smidgen more)
  • Salt and pepper, for taste
  • Paprika, for garnishing
  • Sweet gherkin pickles sliced for garnishing (I left these out)
  • Pimentos, for garnishing

Directions:
  1. Halve 6 eggs lengthwise.
  2. Remove yolks and place in a small bowl with one full egg.
  3. Mash yolks with a fork and stir in mayonnaise, pickle relish, and mustard.
  4. Add salt and pepper, to taste (along with ground cumin).
  5. Fill egg whites evenly with yolk mixture.
  6. Garnish with paprika, pickles and pimentos.
  7. Store covered in refrigerator.

No comments: