Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Ten for Turkey Day!

I’m jumping in on the bandwagon with the Ten on Tuesday game, as stolen from Brookem who stole it from someone else!

1. What are you doing for Thanksgiving this year?
Going to my friend Linda's. I've spent Thanksgiving with her family many times now over the last decade, it's always a fun time.

2. What are you most thankful for this year?
Wonderful friends, my health, and a new president at the college where I work who has restored hope and a positive attitude.

3. Do you have any traditions on Thanksgiving? The parade? Football? Long naps?
Nothing specific. In the 1970's and 1980's, I was a Dallas Cowboys fan so the football game was a must and there was always a large family celebration; no specific traditions though.

4. Is it called stuffing or dressing? Is it in the bird or a separate dish?
Stuffing!  Growing up, my mom always stuffed the bird and that's how it always was. As an adult whose studied cooking, I recognized that it's better not to stuff the bird and if I were cooking, I'd cook it in a separate dish and "stuff" the bird with aromatics.

5. Do you cook?
I do cook, though I hate to cook Thanksgiving dinner. the last time I hosted a Thanksgiving meal, I bought a prepared dinner, all I had to do was heat it up - just as good and gave me much more time to spend with my family.

6. What is your favorite dish?
Assuming this is in reference to the Thanksgiving meal, then my favorite dish is usually the stuffing. However, I must have at least one slice of the jellied cranberry sauce from a can, the one with the lines from the can - need it (perhaps that can be considered a tradition).

7. What is your dessert preference?
I am a huge fan of dessert, no major preference though in the spirit of the day, a sliver of Pumpkin Pie is typically a requirement.

8. What is your favorite Thanksgiving memory?
Not sure. So many different memories of family gatherings but they all kind of blend in. There was a funny time recently where I was driving in my neighborhood and on Thanksgiving day, there were three wild turkeys just roaming the streets - it seems as if they were taunting the cars passing by daring them. Perhaps the turkeys were playing chicken!

9. Do you plan to shop on Black Friday?
No chance at all. I think "Black Friday" should be banned!

10. What are you most dreading about Thanksgiving this year?I dread nothing about the day itself but I do dread every day after into the new year where once relatively simple commutes will become horrendous for a stupid reason.

No comments: