Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Ashes to Ashes

Alarm rang at 4:30 this morning, I went to work-out, had my morning protein smoothie then showered and dressed before making my way to church for a 6:30am Ash Wednesday service. Ash Wednesday is an interesting day, an "uncomfortable" one at times but for me, one that I take pretty seriously - or at least try to.

For me, it's not so much about the religious aspect, I think of it as a reminder of my mortality and a time where I publicly acknowledge my imperfections as a human - I have sinned, and I wish for redemption.

Now of course I could elaborate quite deeply about what this means but I'd rather offer it as food for thought. I realize throwing it out there makes me a target for being judged but I don't mind that so much.

The thing that threw me the most is that back at work, I got really upset with a student in the computer lab. He was completely wrong and disrespectful to the rules but I went off on him pretty good and while he deserved it, the way I did it was unprofessional and I was bummed out about it for a good part of the day after it happened.

The thing is, every time I went to the bathroom, I saw a reminder of what today was - the ashes on my forehead. Tomorrow, the ashes will be gone, in fact, as I write this at 11pm, there pretty much gone already. The one thing that remains, is what they represented and the reflections of the day taht I hope will carry me through the rest of the year.

No comments: