Monday, February 20, 2012

Rockin' the Vinyl

My daughter has been getting more into music of late and often asks me about the music I listen to, listened to when I was younger, etc. Yesterday, she asked about "the big records" so I decided to break out the turntable and some vinyl for a demonstration and lesson.

Together, we listened and enjoyed the following:

  • 7" 45rpm Cat Stevens- Another Saturday Night
  • 7" 45rpm  Jim Croce-You Don't Mess Around With Jim
  • Import 12" 45rpm single Iron Maiden-2 Minutes to Midnight
  • Import 12" 45rpm single Gary Moore/Phil Lynott-Still in Love With You (it's the b-side of Out in the Fields)
  • LP Steve Miller Band Book of Dreams - several selections
The album you see her holding in the photo above is literally the very first vinyl record I ever owned and I've had it in my possession since 1977. My pal Dan O'Connor noticed the ring-wear showing through - the record is in very good shape considering it's age and how many places its been moved around over the 35 years of its life.

This was a great experience to have with my daughter - she said something that made me feel so good, "I'm so glad you are my dad - you're so cool." This is what it's all about.

No comments: