Sunday, June 03, 2012

"Are You Looking for A Dutch Oven?"

A couple of years ago, I wrote this post about my purchase of a dutch oven (the cooking vessel). Of course, the mention of "dutch oven" out of context (or in a different one) might imply the other type of dutch oven (as illustrated in the accompanying cartoon).

Saturday, I was roaming the local mall (something I don't do all that often) and was browsing through a store called Sur La Table. As I was milling about, I overheard a sales person discussing a Le Creuset dutch oven with a customer, a young man probably in his late 20's or early 30's. The particular dutch oven she was pushing was selling for just under $300. That's right, $300 for a single pot - which she referred to as "an investment" because of how much use it will get and how long it will last.

Having done much research and having made a terrific purchase of a high quality dutch oven manufactured by Lodge, the number one brand in cast iron, for under $60 and thrilled with it's performance, I could not help but to stick around and intervene at the right moment.

I noticed the guy tell the sales person "thanks for your help" and then her walking away, that's when I stepped in and in my attempt to offer a valuable piece of insight, might have potentially been misunderstood and taken as some bizarre come on. I walked over to the guy and said to him, "you're looking for a dutch oven?"

Saying it now, reading it back, I can't help but laugh. However, it seems that it could be taken in another context. However, I did take the time to elaborate a bit on my research and experience and even told him where I bought it and for how much. After I walked away to browse the rest of the store, it seemed odd that I ran into him on two or three other occasions, which were oddly awkward.

No comments: