Monday, July 16, 2012

Grace

It was back to work at the office after being away at a conference for a week. Any time back to the office after being away is filled with voice mails, Emails, phone calls and catching up - this day was no different and by 9:00 am, I was already involved in a number of different things and my mind was scrambling when i received a call from my friend (and colleague) Linda.

You may recall Linda, a while back i was the officiant at her and her husband's wedding. Linda called yo let me know that her 87 year old mother, Grace, had suffered a stroke. Clearly it didn't really register in that moment because i hung up the phone and the day went on.

This evening, I was sitting in my couch and had all of a sudden become overwhelmed with emotion and began weeping uncontrollably; it had finally sunk in what had happened. A little later, I spoke to Linda and got a more thorough update an Grace's condition.

Linda's family has been an extension of my own family. I've spent quite a few Thanksgiving holiday's with these people so this hit me.

Of course I've offered to help where I can be of help but really, this is a matter of medicine and fate. If you are reading this, please send good thoughts, prayers, whatever Grace's (and her family's) way - this is going to be a difficult time for all of them.

No comments: