Friday, September 21, 2012

Frizziday

An interesting challenge came upon me today. I was chatting with a group of students who were hanging out outside a school building (Keefe Tech for the locals) with some beats on a boom box and just freestyling. It was super-retro, I used to see guys doing this in NYC all the time in the 80's but I haven't seen this in a long time.

I decided to hang for a while and one of them challenged me to jump in - they said the only rule is "once you start, you keep going until you stop flowing...you dig?" I actually did dug, or dig....

I pulled out my phone to record so I could get the words later (I erased my ridiculous performance because the quality was super poor but I get the words), here's what I came up with:

Pounding the streets on a daily basis
Up at the crack of dawn, and off to the races
Trying to fill all these lonely spaces
While I'm waiting on you

Rhyming with timing, designing, looking for a silver lining
these walls I am climbing
While I'm waiting on you

It felt like forever but I never said never
now my world's so much better
like a living love letter
No more waiting for you
cause you here with me too
you made my dream come true
...
It was super fun but I must've looked super ridiculous in my shirt and tie and silly histrionics but they were pretty cool (at least to my face).

* * * * * * *
While grading student work this evening, I heard this song (which I love) and then I found his terrific live version of it to share with you:

No comments: