Sunday, September 16, 2012

Happy Birthday Dad

On this day in 1926, my dad, Giusseppe Daniele was born in Mola Di Bari, Italy. My dad led a pretty full and interesting life in Italy playing pro soccer, working as a commercial fisherman and serving as a captain in the Italian Navy during World War II.

In 1955, my dad fled to the U.S. in search of freedom, and the American Dream. that year he met my mom and in December they married. that's the ultra-short version but while he was very successful in his home country, the language barrier left him behind here in the U.S.A.

Dad was a proud man, but was willing to do whatever it took so he simply placed himself down at the bottom and started from scratch. Sweeping floors while taking English lessons at Erasmus Hall High School in Brooklyn marked the beginning of what would be in essence, a second life filled with success.

What always amazed me about dad was there seemed to be nothing he couldn't do. He could build things, fix things, cook, paint...

I miss my dad every day.

No comments: