Friday, September 07, 2012

Meme: This One is Interesting

1. If you could interview anyone on your blog (alive or dead) who would you chose and why?
Bruce Springsteen. The man is the greatest live performer I have ever seen and one of the most prolific songwriters of the last 40 years. I've spent an enormous amount of time in my life listening to his music and watching him performs, I want to learn more about who he is, what drives him and his process.

2. What do you feel is your strength as a blogger?
Right now it might be that I still do it consistently. I think the thing that I find alluring about blogging, simply having an outlet to express myself, whatever that may be at the time I blog leads to posts that represent real expressions of the human experience. I find such expressions interesting to read and I hope that those that read mine feel the same way.

3. Can you share a little bit about yourself that you have not already mentioned on your blog?
More than 8 years in and over 1800 posts, I've put so much out there. Really hard to think of something I haven't shared. Have I mentioned that I had to take my road test three times before I got my driver's license? Yep, I failed on two occasions (or is it three - lost track). One of those times, I am convinced I failed because I kept referring to the instructor as "Sir" and later discovered that it was in fact a woman.

4. If you were forced to change the name of your blog, what would you change it to? Why?
"Bits of Me" would be a possible title. As for why, it's a play on words that reflect both what the blog would represent and a reference to computer geekishness.

5. What do you think is the most fulfilling part of being a blogger?
For me, two things: 1. Having my own outlet to be creative or express myself however I choose and not be edited by anyone. 2. I've met some cool people through blogging.

6. What would you do with your last day if you found you had only one more day to live?
If right now I learned I had 24 hours left to live, I'd get my daughter, fly to Chicago, drive north a bit, meet up with someone that means a great deal to me, make sure she knew how special she is and hopefully get to spend a little quality time with 6 of coolest folks on the planet. I'd probably also have to fit in at least one more podcast to say goodbye to everyone.

7. You’ve been doing medical research for decades and have finally found a cure. What was it that you found a cure for and why did you choose this particular ailment?
When I first read this meme, I thought this would be an easy question. The obvious choice seemed to be cancer but after more thought, it seems there isn't likely a singular cure for this disease as it comes in so many forms. Do all cancer cells look the same regardless of the type of cancer? Can finding a way to "kill" a cancer cell work for every type of cancer regardless of where the cells are?I feel like no is the answer and that may be why there is no single cure for cancer and that certain types of cancer are more treatable than others. Given that thought process, I'd choose diabetes. Though even here, there are two types that are quite different. In once case, the body does not produce insulin (type 1) and the type where the body does produce insulin but it is resistant to it (type 2). The disease took my mother's life and is trying to take mine (though I am fighting with everything I have). Very tough question.

8. What is your most guilty pleasure?
These days, a little food item called "Breakfast Pizza". My daughter and I, most Sundays after church, go for brunch at a little shop in Sherborn, MA that makes a breakfast pizza. Pizza crust with eggs, cheese, and a variety of breakfast meets. YUM!

9. Answer only one. What is your favorite book, movie or TV show?
Referring to it as my favorite book implies an absolute that I can't commit to but I can say one of my favorite reads and a book that had real impact was "Johnny Got His Gun" by Dalton Trumbo.

10. What do you think is the very best smell in the world? The one smell that can take you back to a time and place of a very vivid memory in your past?
There's a smell I get sometimes in restaurants (particularly Italian) and rarely in specialty food shops that remind me of Sunday growing up. Back at home in those days, Sundays were as unpredictably wonderful as anything. In addition to the smells of the food, especially the simmering tomato sauce for hours on end, the day itself was about family, the immediate one and those who would drift in and out such as relatives and friends.

No comments: