Monday, September 10, 2012

The Fruit of My Fruit

The last time I went apple picking a few years ago, I wondered if I was crazy. It was fun hanging at the orchard and with my daughter, but there were so many apples and not enough time to eat them before they rotted. So, I went ahead and baked three pies and that was the end of any concern for apples spoiling.

Fast forward to yesterday - as you recall from yesterday's post, my daughter and I hit the orchard again and brought back a peck of apples. This time, I still wondered if I was crazy but I knew there'd be pie involved and pie just makes the world a little better.

The pie you see at the top right is pie #1 from the bounty, tonight's project. This is the result of me following a recipe I found for a highly rated no-sugar added apple pie.

  • 6 cups tart apples, peeled and sliced
  • 1 (12 ounce) can unsweetened apple juice, thawed
  • 3 tablespoons cornstarch
  • 1 tablespoon cinnamon
  • 1/4 tablespoon nutmeg
  • pastry for double-crust pie

Directions:

  1. Preheat oven to 350'F.
  2. In a small mixing bowl combine cornstarch,1/3 of a cup of apple juice, cinnamon, and nutmeg.
  3. Place apples and remaining apple juice in a large saucepan and simmer until apples are tender Then add the cornstarch mixture stir until slightly thickened.
  4. Place into pie shell cover with crust flute edges and vent.
  5. Bake at 350°F for 45 minutes or until crust is a golden brown.

    NOTE (9/14/2011)
    After making, and eating much of this pie, though delicious, I have made an important hypothesis. Typically, apple pies uses tart apples and the tartness is balanced by the sweetness of the sugar you would normally add.
    In the case of this pie, where this is no added sugar, I will try next time to use a variety of apples that range from tart to sweeter varieties, I think this will produce a more balanced flavor profile. This pie was good, but was more tart than a typical apple pie.

No comments: