Thursday, October 18, 2012

Great Work Day

Bob Kraft
STEM - short for Science, Technology, Engineering and Math. Today, instead of the usual type of work day on campus, I attended and STEM Educator's Conference held at Gillette Stadium, home of the New England Patriots (football team and the New England Revolution, soccer team).

After breakfast, one of the early speakers was the owner of the Patriots, Bob Kraft and shortly before go time, I had the chance to say hi and shake his hand. I know, he really is just a guy (albeit a very wealthy one) but at the end of the day, I know he's just a guy but I am a PATS fan and it was fun to be able to meet Mr. Kraft.

there were some interesting talks regarding the value of STEM education and some more specific information about the role of the Commonwealth of MA and how we as educators have a role in the growth of business and industry (with an interest in workforce development).

Up until lunch, I had already been please at the opportunity to be apart of this. Oh, I almost forgot, I got a few cool photos of the stadium and did get to see the PATS practicing.



At the lunch sessions, there was a special treat and I really had no idea how special until I was experiencing it. Astronaut Cady Coleman (second from left in picture below) spoke of her experiences in space.
 


Watching the video footage she brought from the space station, where she lived for six months, was totally mesmerizing. What a fabulous story to hear and what a thrill it was to shake the hand of a person who has actually been in space; I felt like a little kid.

It was a really fun day and I am so grateful to have had the opportunity.

No comments: