Wednesday, October 31, 2012

More Sandy/Halloween


"I'm just a soul whose intentions are good, oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood."

I know that we all need to find a way to move on from the storm but it being the first day back to work, it's the conversational topic of choice among everyone. I was downstairs chatting with a colleague when another colleague came into the room. Phyllis is a semi-retired seventy something year old woman and the moment I saw her, I recalled her mother, deep into her nineties, live in New York City.

Recalling this about her mom and all the hurricane talk, the first thing I said to Phyllis was, "how is your mom?" Instantly after uttering those words of concern, I recalled that her mom passed away a year or so ago and I felt like a complete moron.
*************************
Here's a statement from my friend John. John and his wife were hit hard at their home in Breezy Point; his words capture the severity of what happened:

"Cellphones are still down but I can post to fb right now. I will respond to all the texts and voicemails as soon as possible. Our first floor is totaled. No hope. Totaled. Our second floor is intact. I believe that our home is still square and on the foundation but time will tell. It can all be replaced. I have my life and for the first time even when I was a cop and being shot at or in hand to hand combat with a person with a knife trying to kill me I was sure I was going to die when I was chest deep in flood water trying with all my will power and soul just to take one more step to get to safety...we are here to tell the tale. Rock on cookie....rock on....."
*************************
Switching to the theme of the day, Halloween. I recall a time when I was fairly young and I went trick-or-treating chaperoned my by friend Mike's mom. One of his brothers was in a carriage and I remember grabbing on to the carriage handle and then getting pooped on by a bird. I also recall Mike's mom referring to how that was supposed to be good luck but even at my young age, likely around 10 or 11, I wasn't buying any of that.

I've lived in my current house for a little over 10 years and have never had a single trick-or-treater. It's not a surprise, my house is set far back from the street and it's just not worth the effort my a kid out for lots of candy to troll the houses on my side of the street.

It's been a while since I've said thank you to those who read this blog. I don't get many comments but I do occasionally see the stats and I know there are readers - I appreciate that!

Peace!

No comments: