Tuesday, October 09, 2012

Two Years (So Far)


On October 8th of 2010, my doctor told me I was pre-diabetic and explained to me what that meant and what I needed to do to help prevent, or at least prolong, the onset of type 2 diabetes. Of the several scares I've had up to this point, this one seemed to click. I watched type 2 diabetes murder my mother and it wasn't swift or merciful; it was a long, slow, decades long torture that took her apart piece by piece. That evening, after some deep thought and reflection, I decided that I would do my best to stop eating processed sugar and to exercise every day.

The next morning, October 9th, 2010, I woke up and before I started my day, I got on my treadmill. That was day one of exercising every day. This morning, two years later, for the 732nd consecutive day, I exercised again. On 10/8/2010, I tipped the scales at 206 pounds - this morning, I weighed in at 170. I await blood work results to see where my sugar levels and cholesterol are but more than that, I feel like I have made a real effort into taking care of myself.

I don't know what it all really means in the grand scheme. I know there are things that are out of my control, no matter how hard I work at it. However, I will fight through the daily challenge of keeping all of this up, I have to, I need to, I want to.

No comments: