Thursday, November 08, 2012

Another Five More Questions Answered

When was the last time that you were called too thin?
There’s a nursing professor at the college, Sr. Baby – she’s a nun (though I don’t know which order). Sr. baby has a pretty heavy Indian accent and is very soft spoken but a sweet, patient lady. The other day, I was fixing a fax machine in the reception area and she came over and said, “You look very thin!” I turned and asked her, “Alright, what is it you need?” she smiled and said, “No, really, you lost lot of weight.” We then chatted about my health, weight loss and stuff for about 10 minutes and then she said, “When am I going to get a new computer for my office?” “AHA!!!” I said, “I knew you were looking for something!” Fun!

Tell us about your grandparents.
By the time I was born in December of 1964, all but one of my grandparents had died; only my dad’s mm was still alive. I know that my mother’s mother was severely diabetic and lost her vision and a leg to the disease. Her husband was not a very good man, my mother’s dad was as I recall from the stories somewhat abusive and an alcoholic – kind of a deadbeat.
I know my dad told stories of his dad but I sadly don’t recall any of them. My father’s mom, born in 1899, visited the U.S. only once in 1969, staying with us for about a month. I know that she didn’t like it here and wanted to get back to Italy! I remember her yelling at me and my brother, we were a couple of rascals.

How old were you when you started working and what was your first job?
Believe it or not, the first paid job I had was at the age of 9 years old, working at Hirsch Printing. The Hirsch family were neighborhood friends, father and son ran the print shop while the mom ran a corset shop. The print shop was at the end of our block, no streets to cross. I would sweep the floors and clean up initially – for $1.00 an hour. I worked there into my teens eventually doing some offset print work, collating, flyer distribution – it was a good time.

How do (or did) you parents feel about what you do for a living?
My parents sadly didn’t live long enough to see me work in my career. They did get to see me get my Master’s degree, which made my dad very proud.

When was the last time that you asked for your money back?
I don’t recall specifically but I have no problem doing so. I work really hard for my money and if I buy something, I expect to get what I pay for and when I don’t, I expect a refund.

No comments: