I don't use the pecans. If you love nuts in your cookies, pecans are a great addition but for me, this cookie is perfect without them and adding them is not only unnecessary, it's overkill; the peanut butter chip modification does the trick better.
I use a Silpat and/or parchment paper instead of the cooking spray on the cookie sheet; I highly recommend one of those over the cooking spray.
1 cup shortening
1 cup sugar
1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1 teaspoon almond extract1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
2 large eggs
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
2 cups uncooked regular oats
1 cup chopped pecans
1/2 cup semisweet chocolate morsels
1/2 cup peanut butter chips
No-Stick Cooking Spray*
- Beat shortening at medium speed with electric mixer until fluffy.
- Gradually add sugars, beating well.
- Add extracts and eggs; beat well.
- Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and oats.
- Gradually add dry ingredient mixture to shortening mixture, beating well.
- Stir in pecans and chocolate morsels.
- Drop dough by heaping tablespoonfuls onto baking sheets coated with cooking spray.
- Bake at 350o for 10 to 12 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Cool slightly on baking sheets; remove to wire racks, and cool completely.