Tuesday, December 25, 2012

Free Write

Here's how it works:
  • Blank paper
  • Pencils
  • Timer
Set timer for 5 minutes, In a quiet dark room, sit back and just breath in a controlled fashion and just relax, freeing your mind to wander without allowing your brain to take hold or control of those thoughts. Focus on the breathing and relaxing and let the mind go where it will. After timer ends, turn on a light, set timer for 15 minutes, put pencil to paper and start writing. When timer ends, stop writing - post as written. Here's what I've got:

Rescued from what could have been torture. Grateful for the good friends who took me in and for certain, a good time was had. Yet with all of it behind me, all that consumes me in this moment are the things I wish for, but can't have right now. Not material things, not things that would make me selfish - they aren't material things, something far more significant.

I close my eyes and dream for a moment to feel, it's the only option I have for the time being. I smile because finally, the faces I see are the faces I really need to see, the faces that bring real joy.

Tomorrow, it will be as if this holiday never happened, the real world goes back into order, for a short time, but that familiar routine returns, and hope can once more spring eternal even though spring seems so far away from the recent winter solstice.

The thin blanket of snow marking a white Christmas this morning can be interpreted in many ways - a blank slate, a sheet of innocence, the purity of hope.

I'm taking long, slow breaths, slowing my heart beat so that I can savor each, calling your name.

No comments: