Tuesday, December 04, 2012

Johnny Pump


I won a contest today!

***4th Trivia Question*** What is an old Brooklyn (and New York City) slang term for a fire hydrant?

First person to post the correct answer below will win a free KINDLE copy of Sons of The Pope. Good Luck!


I knew the answer was Johnny Pump, and I got the answer in first. I knew the answer becuse I gre up in Brooklyn and we called then Johnny Pumps back in my childhood.

********************
From WikiPedia:
A fire hydrant (also known colloquially as a fire plug in the United States or as a johnny pump in New York City, because the firemen of the late 19th century were called Johnnies),[1] is an active fire protection measure, and a source of water provided in most urban, suburban and rural areas with municipal water service to enable firefighters to tap into the municipal water supply to assist in extinguishing a fire. Buildings near a hydrant may qualify for an insurance discount since firefighters should be able to more rapidly extinguish a fire on the insured property.

********************
I won a Kindle version of the forthcoming novel, "Sons of the Pope" written by my old friend Dan O'Connor. The book is being released on 12/12, please, if oyu like reading or are looking for a gift for someone who does, support Dan and buy the book (I'll be purchasing several copies).

No comments: