Tuesday, January 08, 2013

"I Shave Everyday!"

The title of this post is a quote by the late Bill Pastore, second husband to my late mother's best friend, the late Lily (I don't know maiden name), formerly Rubino, Pastore. Bill was a character, I recall him saying he was a metallurgist but pronounced it, "metlurgist". He was very animated and turned every conversation into some kind of overly heated exaggeration - he would use the expression, "I shave everyday" to imply he's old enough to do so, seen his share and his view is right because it's one of experience.

This post really has nothing to do with that other than I to am old enough, and I only refer to this as an expression of chronological age, to shave every day and do on most of them; especially if I am going to work and dressing in a shirt and tie.

Last night was a really bad night. I had all sorts of issues staying asleep and was up every hour or so. I woke up very tired and very cranky. I somehow made my way to my basement for a workout and happily, the endorphins (presumably) did take care of the crankiness and I felt less tired from the lack of sleep but ready for a damn protein shake and hopeful that I'd make it through my day.

I lingered a bit and left the house later than usual, something I can do on morning that my daughter is not with me since I don't have to get her to school before I get me to work, and arrive at work around 7:40 feeling okay. I get to email, knock out a few things then grab my morning coffee and the day is on. Then, around 9:30 or so, I am sitting at my desk and all of a sudden, my eyelids seem to gain a metric ton and I wish I were near a bed and pillow (technically, I was just down the hall from the nursing lab which has beds and pillows but those are for dummies - literally).

I got up from my desk and took a stroll through the hallways, stepped outside for a bit of cooler air and that seemed to do the trick. With no napping, I am still going strong as I type this at 9:00 pm.

Looking back on this post, it never ceases to amaze me how many words I can use to ultimately really say nothing - I hope I've entertained you some.

WAIT! I forgot the inspiration for using the post title! As I was feeling sleepy at my desk, I did that move where the elbows go on the desk and held up my head with my hands. It was then I realized that I had actually forgotten to shave! I admit, I panicked a bit, seems like something pretty impossible to forget. Many times Ihave opted not to shave but not if I am in shirt and tie all gussied up. Freaked me out a bit. Okay, done. Bye!

No comments: