Saturday, January 05, 2013

The Whole Pay it Forward Thing

I logged into Facebook the other day and one of my friends from my old neighborhood while growing up had the following as her status update:

"2013 Creative Pay-It-Forward: The first five people to comment on this status will receive from me, sometime in the next calendar year, a gift - perhaps a book, a gift card, a candle, music, homemade something- a surprise! There will likely be no warning and it will happen whenever the mood strikes me. The catch? Those five people must make the same offer in their FB status, then inbox me their address."

I immediate commented, "I love this, I'm in!" I then posted to my status and just watch it begin to spread. In fact, it served as sort of a springboard - My friend Erin, her husband, and both kids have been under the weather through the holiday/New Year season and it's been a rough first week of the year for them. I was planning to cook for a pot luck and it struck me that I could just cook some more of what I was already cooking and put together dinner for them and at least take that of their hands; and so it was done.

It really does feel good to do this kind of thing and one of the things I rediscover every time I do something nice for someone is that it really does change the way you feel; more than just makes you feel good, there's another level that I don't know that I can describe but I know it's there.

The movie "Pay it Forward" came out in, as hard as it is for me to believe, 2000 (jeez, more than 12 years ago). I recall seeing at and immediately being moved at the concept. --- LOST MY TRAIN OF THOUGHT ---

I guess I should go now....I guess what I am trying to say is that I really am making a conscious effort to grow and be a better me and try to put more good out there than I receive, it just seems like a really good idea.

No comments: