Thursday, January 10, 2013

Under the Influence

There was a period today where several of us decided to reminisce about bizarre stories we've lived through while under the influence of either alcohol, drugs, or both. I don't know if I ever told this story here but it's hard to keep track as I creep toward my 2000th post. So, if I've told it before, sorry - here it is as I recalled it today:

Time frame: It was sometime in the later part of the 1980's, I was in my early 20's and there was a girl named Joy that worked at FotoVideo on Avenue U and East 29th Street who I really wanted to date. I don't recall mustering up the courage to ask her out but I do know that somehow, we were going out one night, to a club in the city (New York City, Manhattan). I don't recall for certain our mode of transport into the city but I believe it was the subway. The getting there part isn't all that relevant.

I don't recall a lot, certainly nothing that even may have been pleasurable or fun about being at this club with this girl I wanted to be with because at some point, she excused herself. I assumed she was going to the rest room but she was gone for quite a while. I decided to walk around a bit and eventually found her with her tongue down the throat of some other dude.

I went back to the bar and proceeded to drink 4 Long Island Iced Teas. If you are not familiar with this libation, click the link, but take it from me, it's potent. One Long Island Iced Tea is enough to knock most out of their misery but somehow I consumed 4 of these puppies. It's pretty much the last thing I recalled from that night until I heard the phone ring, mind you, this was the phone in my apartment - we didn't have portable cell phones back then.

Joy had called, with "concern". I was not in a good way, I had no idea how I made it home. Fortunately, in those days, The subway was my main form of transport so navigating my way is second nature and while I would never have believed it was possible to get home from where I was, a train ride still left me about 24 blocks from my apartment which I somehow got to. The next morning was rough but Joy was nothing more than someone who worked at the video store from that point on.

This is one of those stories I often look back on during the "how the hell did we get through some of the crap we did" conversations. I haven't partaken in such behavior in many years and I can't even comprehend it anymore. I am baffled to this day though how I made it home, intact.

No comments: