Sunday, February 24, 2013

2,000th Post-iversary!

June 24th 2004 was the day I took the plunge and typed my first post. Here's what is said:

Needless to say, after reading some blogs over the last few days, I've been inspired to give it a go. Holy Crap Batman! I'm blogging!

I thought I'd start with where the title comes from. I was first affected with this phrase by a song in the 80's called "Whisper to a Scream" by a band called Icicle Works (click here for lyrics).

I like the idea of extremes, especially the idea of one extreme to the other and the effect it can have when used in the context of various creative mediums such as art, music, poetry, etc.

Over the course of time I hope to share some of me with all of you and hope that in return I'll learn something about myself, you, and how or if blogging has any relevance in my never ending quest to discover the who, what, why, where, and how of me.

Until next time, May God Bless You All!

That was 3,167 days ago which works out to a new blog post every 1.5835 days over that period of time. there have been times where I've been almost silent for long periods, particularly during 2009 and 2010 while I was going through a divorce and really couldn't say much out loud publicly.

According to Blogger stats, as of this writing, there have been a total of 79,355 page views. In addition to here in the U.S., the blog has a good number of page views in Russia, Germany, United Kingdom, Malaysia, Ukraine, Sweden, France, Indonesia and Canada. I find this all so interesting as I sit here in my home office in Massachusetts.

In the earlier couple of years of this blog, blogging was the prime social media and there was quite a fruitful and wonderful community of bloggers. Many of us have gotten to be friends over the years and stayed in touch if not by blogs, through other social media vehicles that have become trendier. Blogging has been and continues to be for me such a wonderful experience and exercise. In my 1,000th post, on August 19th of 2008, I spoke of my friend Jill who is responsible for pushing me into this journey. In that post I congratulate her on her pregnancy, she's since given birth to two very cool kids and now resides with them and her husband in Portland, Maine - though I haven't been able to convince her to return to blogging, I am still grateful for her encouragement.

When I started this blog, my daughter was exactly one month away from turning 6 and now she's 14. The parenting journey has been just that, a journey and I suspect will remain one for some time. I recall being nervous about a number of things with a young daughter and I still find myself nervous about a number of things as she is a teenager.

I'm sure that if I thought hard, I could write thousands of words about how so much has changed, evolved, disappeared, and come about. I could talk about how the music industry has deteriorated and yet find some wonderful things to say about artists that didn't exist at the start of this blog. I could talk politics, but that wouldn't be fun. I could talk about the landscape of television and how not only the shows that have come and gone and changed, but how television has changed and is continuing to change. The whole video on demand, Netflix and Hulu stuff didn't really exist the way it does today. These are all "natural" progressions - it's normal to expect things to change over a period of eight years and eight months but having that period of time documented in some form serve as a living history book of sorts.

I'm grateful for so many things in my life. I have some good lifelong friends, I have a great kid who made me believe for the first time that I really did have a purpose in this life. through blogging, I've met some wonderful friends, including one that has changed my life profoundly. Thank you to all of you.

To anyone and everyone who has stopped by here and read my words and shared this space, thank you! I do wish that you would leave a comment every now and again but it's obvious you are coming by and for that, I am glad, especially to those who come back. I'll leave you with the music video of the song that inspired the title of the blog. Peace!

No comments: