Sunday, February 03, 2013

Blind Faith - A Lenten Devotion

Disclaimer: Before deciding whether to read this post or not - I hope that the religious inference does not detract you. The project stems from an annual tradition at my church where the people volunteer to write a reflection based on a bible reading for each day of lent. For the record, my inspiration is for the Monday, March 18th reading covering three pieces, one of which I ultimately used.

I don't talk religion here much and the main purpose of me posting this piece has no bearing on it's religious source but rather to document  the writing exercise. I chose to take the particular story below and rewrite it as a lyric poem (below the scripture).

While in my head, I do have a melody, I have not set it to music (yet) but may do so as a fun project (but, I may not). Regardless, I hope you enjoy it,

Jesus Heals a Blind Beggar Near Jericho (Luke 18:35-43)
As he approached Jericho, a blind man was sitting by the roadside begging. When he heard a crowd going by, he asked what was happening. They told him, ‘Jesus of Nazareth is passing by.’ Then he shouted, ‘Jesus, Son of David, have mercy on me!’ Those who were in front sternly ordered him to be quiet; but he shouted even more loudly, ‘Son of David, have mercy on me!’ Jesus stood still and ordered the man to be brought to him; and when he came near, he asked him, ‘What do you want me to do for you?’ He said, ‘Lord, let me see again.’ Jesus said to him, ‘Receive your sight; your faith has saved you.’ Immediately he regained his sight and followed him, glorifying God; and all the people, when they saw it, praised God.
 
Blind Faith

by Christopher Daniele

Inspired by Luke 18:35-43

Blind man begging by the road side
The crowd just passes by
He heard them speak of Jesus
And he knew he had to try

When he heard the healer’s footsteps
he shouted “Have mercy on me”
and though the crowd responded with anger
Jesus knew that he believed

The healer called out for the blind man
And asked him what would make things right
The blind man asked the son of David
To give him back his sight

Jesus said, “Your faith has saved you.
Your sight you shall receive”
And In the presence of the people,
The once blind man now could see

For those who had once doubted
For those who witnessed what had taken place
All the doubters now believers
And in God they offered praise
***********************************************

One last thought, I am not ashamed or embarrassed by my faith but I've learned that everyone has a different take on it, even my friends who are atheists and I'd rather have those conversations outside of this forum - in a more personal setting.

No comments: