Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Travels

I don't feel like I travel a lot but I do feel like I've traveled enough to be better at it, to have learned from my experiences so that each time I do it I can maybe have some positive impact on the next time. Somehow, the night before I am traveling, I always feel like none of my experiences have made any difference at all and I find myself overwhelmed with too much to do, not enough time to do it and a little anxiety that I am going to forget something, even before I've had the opportunity.

One thing I have implemented is driving myself to the airport and staying in the long term lot. Getting to the airport is such a drag and from where I live, there aren't a lot of option. A cab is super expensive - between $75 and $100 for one way. There is a bus one town over but I'd either had to take a $30 cab ride to the bus or park long term at the bus depot which really isn't all that much less expensive than parking at the airport and in the case where a flight might be delayed, the possibility exists that the bus isn't running until the following morning and I am stuck at the airport for several hours waiting. then there's hitting up a friend and I just don't want to be a bother.

I once said that I hate the process of traveling but love it when I get there. Maybe the horrors of the process, which are infinitely worse since 9/11, are part of what makes the appreciation of being there.

Right now, instead of typing this, I should be packing and prepping for my early flight tomorrow morning. Hey, how's this for a bizarre coincidence... My old friend Rob posts to facebook this afternoon that he's at JFK, so I replied, "where ya heading?" Turns out he's flying into the same city that I am flying into tomorrow - crazy, right? We used to cause all sorts of hijinks and practical jokes so I couldn't help myself, I've thus far left two messages for him at the hotel he's staying at as characters from our past with silly, meaningless messages that contain decades old jokes that pretty much only he and I would really get.

I am going to get on to what I need to be doing now.

No comments: