Monday, March 11, 2013

Wizardry

It's not uncommon to return to campus after a big storm and find many things electronic and/or computer related in some sort of disarray; this morning was no exception.Sorry in advance for any overly techno-geeky terminology.

First call was a biggie, nobody in the computer class was able to log in, the ended up extending to all four computer classrooms on campus - none of the computers could connect to the network, and they came to hunt me down. I had a pretty good idea where to look first and sure enough, none of the switches where all those computers connect to the network were powered on - turns out the "uninterruptable power supply" wasn't nearly as uninterruptable as it's claims, and had died. I had to do the quick fix and plug the switches directly into a wall until a new UPS could arrive but sure enough, the classroom was back in action and the dean of STEM referred to me as the "hero who saved the day" - to my boss (can't say that don't feel good).

Next up was the freshman nursing class in the auditorium, the instructor couldn't get the projector to power on. This is not uncommon on Monday's because there is a youth symphony that uses the auditorium as a rehearsal space on the weekend and very often, they blow a circuit breaker; that was my first thought but as the instructor and I were on the way to the auditorium, she mentioned that the computer was on - this couldn't be the case if the breaker was tripped. Turns out, underneath the podium, there is a stack of gadgetry and in the middle of that mess, is a power supply for the control panels at the top of the podium. The power switch to the projector works off that panel but that panel was not getting power as that power supply was as broken as the English I used to write this sentence. I made my move, powered on the unit and on came the projector and immediately, the instructor sighed with joy as the students sighed with the opposite of joy.

My work was done....until just before lunch, but I need not go into any more stories, it felt good to be the "wizard" who got things working for folks.

No comments: