Thursday, May 30, 2013

Kitchen Nightmares

Strange coincidence or divine intervention?

I think I mentioned here that I am in the preliminary stages of a kitchen remodel, not as much my choice as by necessity since the idiots who built the house did so with a budget that clearly ran out half way through.

The whole process for me is so stressful, I need to make decisions on things that cost a lot of money and you really only get one chance to get it right.

The worst part is that the configuration of the space is really poor and while I would love to make it right, I simply can't; it would be way (way) too expensive and I would never recover that cost (and I don't know how long I will continue to live in this house).

The best I could do is to replace the cabinets and counters (and reluctantly, the appliances) and make the best of it. One of the things I really want is to move the trash receptacle into the cabinet space (very common now) and not have a trash can lingering. I had what I thought was a perfect spot for it, willing to surrender one of the 12" cabinets, the one that sits to the right of the range. Problem, the built-in trash receptacles are 15" - it's freaking me out! I know, I am being a bit dramatic, but I've had to stash money away for a few years to be able to pay for this and doing so will clear a good chuck of my savings. The thing is, aside from enjoying it for however long I decide to keep the house, it will be essential to have the work done to be able to sell the house.

I bugged out when I went down to the mail room to seek if there was anything for me and there was this new issue of Consumer Reports - which I've been trolling online for days. I guess I'll get through it.

No comments: