Sunday, May 12, 2013

Laverne and Shirley

I'm sitting here at my desk trying to think of what to type here in this space today. For so much of today, Mother's Day, I've been seeing dozens and dozens of tributes on Facebook and thinking a lot about my mom and all the mom's I've known over the years.

I really wasn't certain what to say in this space and as I ran my hand through my hair hoping to stir up some thoughts, my brain, followed by my voice began singing the Laverne and Shirley theme song.

One, two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight.
Sclemeel, schlemazel, hasenfeffer incorporated.
We're gonna do it!
 
Give us any chance, we'll take it.
Give us any rule, we'll break it.
We're gonna make our dreams come true.
Doin' it our way.
 
Nothin's gonna turn us back now,
Straight ahead and on the track now.
We're gonna make our dreams come true,
Doin' it our way.
 
There is nothing we won't try,
Never heard the word impossible.
This time there's no stopping us.
We're gonna do it.
 
On your mark, get set, and go now,
Got a dream and we just know now,
We're gonna make our dream come true.
And we'll do it our way, yes our way.
Make all our dreams come true,
And do it our way, yes our way,
Make all our dreams come true
For me and you.

I really love the sentiment of this song, the idea that nothing is impossible and that if you have your heart set on something, just go for it - no matter what.

To all the mothers in the world who take that role seriously, who selflessly give all of themselves to their children, who love without condition...Happy Mother's Day!

No comments: