Thursday, June 27, 2013

Recipe: Cheese Waffles

I ask my daughter what she wants for dinner and as usual, her response is "What are the choices?" I throw a few things out there and she implies she would like something "different". I take a moment and blurt out, WAFFLES!

Mustering up a confused but intrigued mug, she throws out the idea that she's in some kind of mood for cheese. I then immediately fire back, "CHEESE WAFFLES". Again, the mug, eyes bunch up and she utters, "is there such a thing?" I say, "I bet there is, and if not, there will be after tonight."

It was easy to find a recipe, I began gathering the ingredients to discover I had no milk, so I made a convenience store run and was back in business - they were delicious! Here is the recipe as I read it (with annotations by me in red).

Ingredients:
  • 2 egg yolks
  • 1/3 cup oil
  • 2 cups milk
  • 2 cups flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 tablespoon baking powder
  • 2 egg whites, stiffly beaten
  • 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese (I didn't have cheddar, I had Parmesan Reggiano and Swiss and asked Victoria which she preferred and went with equal parts of both)
Preparation:
Preheat waffle maker.
Put all ingredients, except cheese and egg whites, in a large mixer bowl.
Beat on low until moistened.
Increase to medium, mix until smooth.
By hand, mix in cheddar cheese and then gently fold in beaten egg whites.
Pour 1/2 cup batter over grids.
Close waffle maker, bake until steam no longer escapes, about 3-5 minutes.
Repeat.
Serve while hot with your favorite topping or cream sauce for a special dinner dish.
I mixed all the ingredients by hand, with a whisk, in a stainless bowl. For the egg whites, I used a mixer with a whisk attachment and made a meringue. I used my belgian waffle maker the way I use it, not specific to the recipe.

No comments: