Sunday, June 02, 2013

Yusuf

I've been listening to Cat Stevens a lot in the past few weeks, more than I have in the last couple of decades combined; I've always loved his songs.

I never really paid careful attention to his leaving the music business and becoming a Muslim. There was a time, I was naive, and thought that was a bad thing. Many years since have passed and I am much older and definitely wiser.

The other day, I got a 4 CD "box set" of his from the library and the liner notes go into some detail about who "Cat Stevens" was, his musical journey and his personal journey. It seems pretty clear that there was a greater calling for him and that he eventually found what it was in the pages of the Qur'an.

The music still stands up, it's timeless it's wonderful, it's meaningful...it's beautiful. If you've never gotten into the music Yusef Islam released as Cat Stevens, I highly recommend it.

No comments: