Friday, August 02, 2013

Monkey See, Monkey Do

My daughter and I had a great time at the zoo today. Among the animals we saw was this spider monkey. We hung around for a bit and he came closer and closer.

Seconds after I took this picture, I made eye contact and then reached out my arm. We made a definite connection because he moved up a bit to where the spaces in the fence are larger and reached his arm trough attempting to reach out to my arm, never losing eye contact.

My daughter and I, along with onlookers were all blown away! It was a really awesome moment and especially to have shared it with my daughter. In fact, it was she who said, "Monkey See, Monkey Do" shortly after we walked away and that was the inspiration for the title of this post.

As an aside, for a number of Friday's in the summer, the city of Boston has these "Fun Free Fridays" where there are 6 different family attractions that wave their admission fees. Today, The Franklin Park zoo was on the list. However, the free part was a major draw and the crowds were just mind boggling. We drove around and around and when we still couldn't get a parking spot after a very long time, I just said, screw it - let's go the the Stone Zoo (about 30 minutes away). At that point I'd rather just pay and get in than drive around and around in bumper to bumper traffic and I am so glad we did - what a great time we had!
 
I did reserve library passes for the Franklin Park zoo for the 12th so we'll get to go when there is far less demand to be there. Vickie and I are both looking forward to it!

No comments: