Wednesday, August 14, 2013

The Reflux

Not to be confused with the Duran Duran song, oh wait, that was "The Reflex". On Monday night of this week, I went to bed feeling okay, but middle of the night I woke up and there was a bit of a fire in my throat; I took a couple of tums, went back to bed, woke up a few hours later.

Since the first wake up, I've had heartburn straight through, nearly 48 hours with almost no relief. This morning, many folks I know, several of them are medical professionals, recommended that I visit the doctor - so I did.

They did an examination and an EKG, which came up clear, and decided to treat this as acid reflux and put me on a 14 day course of Prilosec. Prilosec takes 1-2 days to kick in so I am still hurting, but finally optimistic that relief is in sight and happy that it was not cardiac related.

Here's the real kicker, I've never had heartburn for any length of time where it was a burden. I don't think more than an hour and it's always been a few tums and I'm fine. This time, neither Tums or Pepcid Complete made a dent. I feel horrible knowing that this is a chronic condition for many folks, I am so hoping this disappears for good, and soon!

No comments: