Monday, September 23, 2013

SPOILERS - Series Finale of Dexter

Spoilers below
Spoilers below
Spoilers below
Spoilers below
Spoilers below
Spoilers below
Spoilers below
Spoilers below
Spoilers below
Spoilers below
Spoilers below
Spoilers below
Spoilers below
Spoilers below
Spoilers below
Spoilers below
Spoilers below
Spoilers below
Spoilers below
Spoilers below
Spoilers below
Spoilers below
Spoilers below
Spoilers below
Spoilers below
Spoilers below
Spoilers below
Spoilers below
Spoilers below
Spoilers below
Spoilers below
Spoilers below
Spoilers below
Spoilers below


As I mentioned in my post last might, as a series, I loved this show. In a loose way, it reminded me of the show House in that it was reasonable to predict certain things. In House, you always were pretty sure that a tough case would come in, they would try a few things that didn't work, and almost every time, solve the case. The interesting part was how the characterizations and the interplay between those characters drove the stories. Dexter was different as well, while it also has very well developed characters that drive the stories, the story arcs have also been very strong and in fact, I think were as essential to any episode or season working effectively.

Going into last night, I had no idea how it would all be tied up. I like where they went with a few things though I though the first 30-40 minutes of the episode were a bit slower paced that I'd have liked, though I accept that pace may have been deliberate as a way to put finality on some of the other characters before leading into what would become of Dexter, Hanna, and Harrison.

I loved how Elway ended up on the bus and the uncertainty with how that would play out. I loved how I was convinced that when Hanna pulled out the thermos my mind immediately triggered into her herbal poisoning technique and when she offered him the tea, how proud I was to have figured out the obvious and how "holy shit" I was when she stabbed him with the hypodermic needle and gave him the horse tranquilizer - brilliant!

When Dexter took Deb off life support, I found that to be almost poetic. Then when he stole her body, again, one level up and I am on board. I was convinced that when he got off the phone and threw it into the ocean that was symbolic of what came next. The way I saw it was he would lift Deb with her in his arms, and drop into the drink with her. I though this would be a smart way to link his personal conflict with how he dumped so many bodies off the boat. When I saw what did happen, as he sped into the hurricane, I thought, yes! This is outstanding. I loved seeing the wreckage of the Slice of Life and even Hanna reading the news story on her iPad. If they had faded to back after Hanna and Harrison went for ice cream while Hanna wiped the tear from her eye - I was sold, I would have given the episode a solid A- despite the slow beginning.

My problem was the very end, basically the last 60-90 seconds of the show. I can't for the life of me see a reason for Dexter to be alive but even if there is a good one, a logger? trucker? I feel like it was a commercial cop out intended to leave an opening for a movie, or something else - the idea of a finale if to put an end to the story, even if it's an open end, but one that makes sense. There was much debate over how the Soprano's ended, I thought that was fine because it left enough to the imagination and it just worked. The ending of Dexter, that last minute or so, it just didn't work for me, took the episode down to the C level and left me wondering why Hollywood gets series finale's so wrong so often.



No comments: