Sunday, November 03, 2013

"Dawg"in' It

Friday night, it was chilling with The Road Dawgs at a place called "Pepperoncini's" in Milford, MA. I have to say, I've been to this place a few times to see them in the past and the thing I like least about the venue is how unfriendly the staff is. In particular, the bartenders and more, one woman in particular are not only unfriendly and unwelcoming, but among the worst at that job as ever. I mean, there isn't a lot to do to pour a beer. You ask for a beer and the bartender grabs a class, pulls a lever and gravity takes over, it's really all about being civil and perhaps going one extra step to maybe smile, be remotely cheerful, perhaps consider the reason people are here is to unwind from a tough work day or week. These people practically ignore you then make it as if they are doing you a favor to serve you. I would never go there at all except if my friends were playing and even then, I think twice.

Despite the horrific venue, the band was in great form Friday night and at the start of the last set, singer Jesse Lee Albright gave us a new rendition of the song Royals, currently on the charts by Lorde and it was killer. The whole band rocked it and it was a nice way to unwind after a tough week and after my conference.

I had no plans for Saturday. I took the day pretty lightly with a little sleep in and staying in my PJs until way later in the day than usual. When I got my self together and worked out and did a few things, showered and all I felt it should at least go to the out of doors and so I did. A few grocery stores and chores later, I returned to relax and had no plan and was okay with that figuring I would watch some TV or heaven forbid read. Turns out The Road Dawgs had another gig, this time with a guest vocalist, who was their previous singer, and someone I've known for a long time, Meghan Larson.

I know Meghan from Church, her husband and kids and her husband siblings and their families - I've known them all for over a decade. On this particular evening, my duties and friend and fan of the Dawgs kind of turned into body guard. the venue, one of my favorites that they play is a terrific little place called "Victory Lane" in Millis, MA. The food and drink are at throwback prices (example, pint of Shipyard Pumpkinhead Ale Friday at Pepps - $5.25. At Victory Lane, $3.70). Victory Lane has a "Cheeseburger Club Sandwich', which is killer. It's a cheeseburger on the bottom and a BLT above; with fries it's $6.99! I know, crazy! the crowd is cool and most of the employees are laid back and cool too. The show was fun and loose and on this night, a good chunk of the crown seemed to have migrated from the town I live in - kind of neat.

There was one dude, rather intoxicated and seemingly enamored with Meghan. As the evening progressed, he kept getting closer and closer. I don't think he had harmful intent but he was a rather large fellow in comparison to her so the rest of the band and we fans kind of kept an eye on him and formulated an informal strategy if he attempted to get too close. Fortunately, it never got to anything and the show was fun.

I have attempted over the last two days to get some insight into the band Arcade Fire. I posed a question on FB to which a friend offered some interesting insight. I did my best to give them a fair shot but as of now, they are not my cup of tea. I am glad though that I didn't just make a simple judgment and went a bit deeper - thanks Bryan O'Connor for your insight.

That's all for now.

No comments: