Saturday, January 25, 2014

The Culprit

This little hunk of steel is apparently responsible for the problems I have been experiencing with my heat lately.

I was very fortunate that my plumber was kind enough to help me troubleshoot and resolve my problem over the phone the other day, for free. It seemed as if it was going to work until the following morning when the temperatures dropped again.

Instead of calling him the following day and thanking him for the advice and telling him he didn't need to come by on Saturday morning, I kept the appointment and of course this morning, he discovered what he believes the problem to be.

The good news, I don't need to spend thousands of dollars on a new boiler right now. the bad news is of course I do need to replace the circulator pump. I guess three digits is better than four and in the end, the heat will work more reliably.

Oddly enough, in the same month of January, way back on 2003 (I had been in the house all of five months at that point), the very same problem had the temperatures in my house plummet into the 50's before the unit you see picture above was installed to replace the faulty one before it. Hopefully the one he installs today lasts at least another 11 years!

No comments: