Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Reconciliations: Billy Joel

I've made it pretty clear in this space that I'm mad at Billy Joel. I believe he has checked out and is just kind of milking it.

I've spent a lot of time focusing on the negatives, and they are there. It's hard for me to respect the way he's managed and presented his career to the public.

When he received the Kennedy Center Honors, I posted reasons why I thought he shouldn't get it, then rescinded those statements - sort of.

I felt I needed to go back and remember what it was about Billy Joel that captured me and so back in January, I began listening to the entire Billy Joel catalog. I've since listened to every damn thing he's released that I know of.

I remember what it is that I like so much and while I still hate the he bullshits about why he isn't writing or recording and feel like he's touring only for the cash...the fact is, as long as people want to see him, and as long as he's not ripping off his audiences by either super ridiculous ticket prices and/or short concerts, who the fuck am I to judge. I can feel however I feel but whatever he does he does - I can choose to go see him or not. In the end, I love his music and will continue to listen to it forever.

No comments: