Thursday, March 13, 2014

1250: "Cal Ripken of Working Out"

Over the last 3+ years, I've talked about my consecutive streak of days I've worked out. This past Tuesday was the 1,250th consecutive day of working out - and the last day of the streak.

In recent times, I've been batting some injuries - ankle, shins, knee, wrists. I've always tried to balance out the workouts properly but I've been feeling of late that somewhere in my brain, it became more about the streak than the health & wellness I want to achieve.

When it all started, it was great because in addition to the workouts, I had been doing these smoothies and I lost a lot of weight, over 40 pounds, and had some great results at the doctor's office too - blood work had really changed for the better.

As I begin to think about my physical in May, and what the last six months or so have been like, for many reasons, everything is just off. I've gained some weight and am just not feeling well, especially physically. I feel that by breaking the streak I can reset my focus and my mind set back to health and wellness and exercise being a part of an overall plan. My early fears, based on knowing myself to some degree, is that if I didn't work out every day, I would just fall so far off the wagon it would be as if I did nothing at all. I hope that isn't true anymore and that I can make this work.

I know the value of exercise. Right now, with the kitchen mangled for another month and a half, nutrition is tougher than ever, even in balance - but I will forge ahead and just take it all one day at a time.

I was watching the ABC national news the other night and there was a segment with Dan Harris, who was promoting and talking about his book, 10% Happier, and he talked about his misconceptions about meditation had kept him from trying it but once he did, it was such a key to so many things for him. He talked about a simple 5 minute meditation, which Dr. Oz came on and talked about as well. It all seemed simple enough and I actually have some experience with meditation in dealing with anxiety, so for the last two days, I have been doing the 5 minutes in the morning - again, one day at a time.

Life is a work in progress.

OH - the title of the workout is courtesy of my friend Egan.

No comments: