Friday, March 28, 2014

Conference Confluence, or at least Influence

Today's plan was not my normal six and a half mile commute to work that takes twelve minutes or so. Today, I was to drive about 58 miles from home to the town of Haverhill, MA to attend the "2014 Massachusetts Community College Conference on Teaching, Learning & Student Development".

I wasn't sure what to expect but I gotta tell you, it was great! Good breakfast, good keynote, the first session I went to was titled, "Accessible Media: Moving towards Compliance" - the subject is one I've worked with over the years and will continue to work with. It was great to see other like minded colleagues and also to know that the road blocks to progress aren't so unique. My second session was bizarre, but really cool; the title, "The Intellectual and Emotional Dimensions of Critical Consciousness". I know, super granola sounding, right? I was a bit granola, but only in the best way. The oddest thing is I ended up partnered with a dude that has worked on and of for 13 years as an adjunct at the same place I've worked full-time for the last 16+ years but this was the first we've ever met! before leaving, we actually did a yoga thing! So crazy but really cool.

Lunch was delicious but after, I walked into my third session and saw the presenters. The two women who were presenting I was familiar with from a conference last year and at that conference, they were really terrible - so I decided to bail. I ended up making the long drive home and avoided rush hour and getting to take a two hour nap when I got home!

Also in news I know you are waiting to hear, I took advantage of Dunkin Donuts sale (actually desperate attempt to get rid of seasonal inventory) on Pumpkin and Peppermint Mocha K-Cups.

Off to see the Road Dawgs and have a late supper at the British Beer Company in Franklin a little later - hope to see some of you there!

No comments: