Sunday, April 27, 2014

A Brave Little Bunny Rabbit

Here in suburbia, it's not uncommon to see a variety of animals going about their lives. Among the animals I've seen in my back yard and in the neighborhood are: deer, fox, rabbits, turtles, geese, wild turkeys, skunk, opossum, raccoon, squirrels, moose, a variety of birds, frogs, and I know there are others.

Most suburban areas are similar, the inner roads and streets of the residential areas perimetered by larger, main roads that flow traffic to and from the larger towns and cities and house the strip malls, supermarkets, malls, regional and national chains such as Walmarts, Targets and other you can name the stores because they are in your town too.

While reasonably common to see the wildlife drift about within the towns and cities of suburbia, it's rare to see one venture out to those much larger, main roads - such as route 9, the fabled "Boston-Worcester Turnpike".

Last evening, I found myself along route 9, specifically at a strip mall known as "Shopper's World". As I was leaving the area about to turn back out onto route 9 west, despite the traffic lights in my favor, I found myself stopped by a very ambitious gray bunny rabbit who was very eager to cross the road. I couldn't help but wonder if he had escaped from Petsmart, one of the chain pet stores located inside of Shopper's World - all I know is that I couldn't help but cheer for the bunny, even out loud. "Go bunny, go, be free and rock on!" Yes, I actually uttered those words over the loud sounds of Warren Zevon coming from my car stereo.

Just another day in suburbia.

No comments: