Monday, May 26, 2014

In My Ears 4

This period started with me popping in an old mix tape,er, actually mix CD that I made a while back called "Today's Country II". Those of you familiar with country music will know about when it was made from the songs - here is the back cover:

Here are the other CD's I listened to:

Jennifer Nettles - That Girl
I will always question why a member of a group or duo insists on recording a solo record, I need it to identify differently in some way that it would were it recorded with the duo or group - this one does, and it's good.

Aloe Black - Good Things
Just recently got into him from his more current work. The newer CD will appear in my next update, this is his previous one and its well crafted modern day r&b/Pop/soul music.

The Winery Dogs - The Winery Dogs
This "supergroup" escaped me until I saw them on a rerun of That Metal Show. Mike Portnoy, Billy Sheehan and Richie Kotzen formed this band in 2012 and this, their first record, is fantastic.

Hugh Laurie - Didn't it Rain
Yes, the guy that played Dr. House. And, this is his second CD, both of which I've listened to and both of which I like a whole lot. Produced by Joe Henry, this collection of terrific, well known songs get a unique makeover.

Jason Isbell & The 400 Unit - Jason Isbell & The 400 Unit
Jason Isbell & The 400 Unit - Here We Rest

Jason Isbell - Sirens of the Ditch
Jason Isbell - Southeastern
I heard this guy interviewed on an episode of WTF with Marc Maron and had to learn more. I got these 4 CD's from the library and just love them so much. Gritty, Americana, Rootsy, Country, Southern and other influences. Something very special about how this dude sings.

No comments: