Tuesday, June 24, 2014

In My Ears 5

I had made a set of CD's for my friend Maria last year as part of my pay it forward thingie. I happen to dig the compilation a lot, had a jonesing to listen to it - so I did. Here are the selections:



I've also been dipping into some classics while listening to new stuff as well, here are the rest of the CD's that have crossed my eardrums since last I posted from In My Ears:

Talking Heads - Little Creatures
My favorite of their records, has a very nostalgic place from when I worked at Titus Oaks, this record was in heavy rotation for a while in the store.

Bob Dylan - Nashville Skyline
Sometimes known as the Bob Dylan record where you can understand all the words as he sings them, wonder if it had to do with the accident record. Amazing stuff!

Prince - Purple Rain
It was just time to re-listen to this incredible record.

Bad Company - Straight Shooter
With "Feel Like Makin' Love" and "Shooting Star" both on the same record, c'mon, the rest is pretty great too - always make time for the voice of Paul Rodgers.

ZZ Top - Tres Hombres
I had just listened to an interview with Billy Gibbons and it got me in the mood.

Graham Parker - Songs of Consequence
I stumbled onto this one that passed me by, streamed it online and loved it.

Ramones - Rocket to Russia
Every now and again, you need some Ramones to fill a crack in the soul.

Lydia Loveless - Indestructable Machine
One of my NPR finds - very cool stuff.

Aloe Black - Lift Your Spirit
The follow up to the first record, the one I wrote about in the last "In My Ears" post. Again, solid, modern R&B, no filler - I like this dude.

Kiss - Symphony: Alive IV
For some reason, this record, recorded live with the Melbourne Symphony. I've got to say, the idea of these songs done in this way may sound odd on paper but they pull it off nicely.

Tony Macalpine - Edge of Insanity
Tony Macalpine - Freedom to Fly
Tony Macalpine - Madness
Steve "Zeke" Schein first alerted me to this guy, whose first record, Edge of Insanity came out pretty close to the time when Yngwie Malmsteen was first gaining a foothold here in the USA and of course, there were comparison. Both are guitarists who take precision to a new level. Macalpine was able to get Billy Sheehan and Steve Smith to play in his 1986 debut, which added a level of credibility - it's a solid record, great guitar work, great musicianship, not so sure if there is a great deal of soul, but that said, I'm not sure it needed it considering the genre it was identified with and the nature of the record. Freedom to Fly and Madness were released in 1992 and 1993 respectively and adequately show an even more mature level of musicianship and showmanship.

Buddy Holly - Rave On
Been a while since I listened to a Buddy Holly compilation and I just felt like hearing those classic songs that so prove the less is more concept.

Dierks Bentley - Rise
Dierks Bentley sound and writing has evolved into something less pop-country and more roots-country, but it is still very accessible;  I happen to dig it!

Joe Henry - Tiny Voices
I only learned of Henry a year or two ago and am still trying to figure out how I missed this very unique artist.

Ray LaMontagne - Trouble
I wanted to hear the rest of the record, and it's all just as good as the title cut.

Colin Raye - Still on the Line...The Songs of Glen Campbell
Colin Raye has some country his in the early 1990's but faded from the foreground. His voice is still strong and wonderful and his interpretations of these classic songs made famous by Glen Campbell (many written by Jimmy Webb) is quite nice.

Meat Loaf - Bat Out of Hell
All these years after it's release, every second of this record still stands up. This album is truly one of the greatest rock albums ever made. the musicians are a who's who, Todd Rundgren produced the record and of course, the insane Jim Steinman, with his best collection of lyrics ever,

No comments: