Wednesday, July 23, 2014

In My Ears VI

Since last I spoke of my music listening...

R.E.M. - Fables of the Reconstruction
This was the R.E.M. album that really made me a fan, I played this on my college radio show a lot, every cut. I also like how the title of the record could be seen as either Fables of the Reconstruction or Reconstruction of the Fables. This record still sounds amazing!

KISS - Asylum
After writing very brief reviews of a few KISS records for a friend who has a hole in his collection, I just decided to listed to this one.

Judas Priest - Screaming for Vengeance
Recalling the live show back in the day, had to go back and listen - Halford is a monster vocalist!

Hal Ketchum - The King of Love
I lost track of this guy and saw this on the Amazon Prime streaming list, such a smooth voice. Dubbed a country artist but there's an R&B vibe that runs through his music and delivery.

Deep Purple - Machine Head
More talk about Deep Purple recently than in a while, I hadn't listened to them in so long and it was time.

Bruce Springsteen - Working on a Dream
There were a few songs and melodies from this record I needed to revisit at the time.

Alabama - For the Record
An exhaustive retrospective of their hit songs - felt so right.

Fleetwood Mac - Rumours
They were so much less pretentious them, such a great record.

Lindsey Stirling - Lindsey Stirling
This is a super talented young lady who plays violin and has a unique, modern approach. I've seen her perform live, especially where she first hit the spotlight on America's Got Talent and boy, she is something to see but I can't say it translates well on record - hard to listen to the whole thing straight through.

Mark Knopfler/Emmylou Harris - All the Roadrunning
Two great artists on one great record - win/win.

Shakira - Shakira
Always throws me when an artist titles a record eponymously deep into their recording career. Regardless, some standout cuts here.

Rascal Flatts - Rewind
What you might expect from these guys. I feel like it might be taken wrong if I say it was just okay but I will risk it.

Lydia Loveless - Somewhere Else
Great record, and features a cover of "They Don't Know" a Kirsty Macoll song but later recorded my Tracy Ullman in the early 80's and her video featured a cameo by Paul McCartney. Lydia Loveless is a keeper - if you don't know her, check her out.

Utopia - KSAN 95 FM Live '79
A live recording from, that's right, 1979 - good show!

Gene Simmons - Asshole
I intentionally didn't get this record when it came out nearly a decade ago. I don't know why - but I was missing out, it's actually got some character and personality.

Joey Ramone - Don't Worry About Me
The Joey Ramone solo record, released after he died. Haunting in some ways but all Joey.

No comments: